My Bangsamoro 'State'

In the beginning ... T'was an identity of who I am not, imposed by a colonizer envious of my independence, prestige and honor. I was his shadow, forsaken; an enemy thought vanquished, an Iberian nemesis reborn reminiscent of the African Moors. Through the sword and the cross, through words and the pulpit, through every scheme imaginable, I was always the antagonist. Over ages this name remains, reminder of our forebears' sacrifice - Life forsaken, blood spilled, in combat or alone.

As the tide turns against colonialism, so added new meaning, new identity, an empowerment to a long neglected but proud race. Moro - one who fights for his right and land! 13 identities fused by one faith!

These days, a twist is at hand. Bangsamoro, not anymore an identity, not anymore an cultural grouping. The name has evolved from being a pariah into the mainstream consciousness, a political and legal jargon emerging out of the peace process. A apt recognition for an unconquered portion of this republic! There was much brouhaha when ARMM was born and to end as a failed experiment. 22 years of existence gone wrong? What is then our guarantee of this evolving political entity? Will it be just physical changing of the guards or a 'hijrah' from 'jahiliyah' to righteousness? I pray, because as a Moro this is what I do. But I am also reminded by my faith that change will not come unless we change what is in our heart.

In the end, I believe, Bangsamoro is a consciousness, a frame of mind. My body is my Bangsamoro. My family, my home is my Bangsamoro. My neighborhood is my Bangsamoro. What my mind thinks, my heart feels, my hands act on, they all reflect my Moro state. In this intangible world, my Bangsamoro will live forever, uncontrolled, undefined, free from the limitation of legal and political constructs, free from the ethnic and cultural stereotypes and prejudices. In this conscious realm, I can be creative, critical and reflective to my heart's content. In this state, I keep my hindsight about the past unobstructed, my present unhindered and my future infinite. Here lies the true esssence of my Bangsamoro state!

No comments:

Post a Comment