Why Public Administration?

I have always been fascinated by government, politicians and bureaucrats. If you listen to each one of them, things appear relative and justified. I was doing NGO work when I started by master's studies in a local graduate school. My NGO work propelled me to take on management tasks as an Administrative Officer. Since there was no generic management course, Pub Adm came as a second choice. The priori though is, either public, private of non-profit, certain management principles apply to all.

So off I went to Graduate School to learn. I was really an empty cup and was voraciously absorbing everything I can grasps, from printed materials and classroom discussions to personal and professional views of my classmates.

A word about my classmates - We were extremes, I was novice and greenhorn, they are agency leaders, experienced and seasoned. They talk about laws and regulations like its the air their breath, naturally. When they talk, there are lot of acronyms, short-cuts and terms I need to grasp fast or I be lost in the discussion.

When lost, I use my ears more than my mouth, which is very often in the first few months. What I lack in experience and training, I make up with reading. Because they are agency leaders, office deadlines come first. They do not have the luxury of time, which I have, to read books and do homework.

In less than 3 years I earned a graduate diploma and a master's degree at the top of my class.

I wanted to record my thoughts representing my formal and informal years, past and continuing learning and practice on public management with special interest on regional self-governance (autonomy), human resources management, capacity building, and change management.

No comments:

Post a Comment