The call, the offer and the fate

The call
It all begun with a call. We were on Christmas holidays. One afternoon, we had siesta and when I saw my phone, there were several missed call from an unknown number and a text, the caller introducing himself. A frank call/text from one of my friends? So as not to lengthen the speculation, I decided to ring him back. True enough it was from the newly appointed head of the autonomous government.

The conversation was about looking for the right person for a gargantuan task. I suggested insiders. I suggested outsiders. I suggested senior managers, but he was looking for young, dynamic with a "can do" attitude, one who is bold and dedicated. There were several calls from him thereafter.

The offer
I ask him what is his education priority. Simple and two-fold - prosecution and development. The first one is to arrest graft and corrupt practices and to prosecute big fish. The second one is to head start anew, institute strategic reforms within a limited time and limited budget, in a region swarming with personal, familial, clannish and ethnic interests.

I can do the second half, because my experience, exposure and training in development work is just that. This I can keep to task.However, I am no lawyer and I worry that my minute knowledge of it might jeopardize the whole task at hand. Reflecting on his education reform priority, I thought and this I shared with my principal - he needs a complement of lawyer and educators to run the show.

The fate
As fate have it, came the offer. My conscience tells me, give to someone better than we are. So I humbly declined and step aside for someone better suited to serve His Love for His creation. Yet I can't keep myself away from the circle. The pull of being part of doing something good, something selfless, something for the greater good is so strong. I tried to play my part from the periphery and gave my all.

Until one afternoon, fate and faith finally reached a consensus with my heart, soul and mind all in agreement. So I made what is unthinkable at my current status - gave up comfort, privacy and relatively worry-free life to serve the greater good in what is a chaotic environment. To do so means to give up something closer, something personal ...When at the crossroad, I took the 'selfless' road with faith in Allah that things will be okay.

With that faith, I face my fate and took the plunge. There were days I wonder if I ever did made a good decision. What am I doing here? Tonight you showed me the wisdom of my action. And forever I am truly grateful for the continuing guidance ... my heart cries in happiness for showing me that this decision I took is not in vein, that loving and serving what you hold dear is the as much as loving You. Saribu ribu Shukoor Ya Allah, Ya Rahman, Ya Raheem!

No comments:

Post a Comment